Search the words to solve crossword puzzles
Definition of Rib
- noun One of the curved bones attached to the vertebral column and supporting the lateral walls of the thorax.
- noun That which resembles a rib in form or use.
- noun One of the timbers, or bars of iron or steel, that branch outward and upward from the keel, to support the skin or planking, and give shape and strength to the vessel.
- noun A ridge, fin, or wing, as on a plate, cylinder, beam, etc., to strengthen or stiffen it.
- noun One of the rods on which the cover of an umbrella is extended.
- noun A prominent line or ridge, as in cloth.
- noun A longitudinal strip of metal uniting the barrels of a double-barreled gun.
- noun The chief nerve, or one of the chief nerves, of a leaf.
- noun Any longitudinal ridge in a plant.
- noun In Gothic vaulting, one of the primary members of the vault. These are strong arches, meeting and crossing one another, dividing the whole space into triangles, which are then filled by vaulted construction of lighter material. Hence, an imitation of one of these in wood, plaster, or the like.
- noun A projecting mold, or group of moldings, forming with others a pattern, as on a ceiling, ornamental door, or the like.
- noun Solid coal on the side of a gallery; solid ore in a vein.
- noun An elongated pillar of ore or coal left as a support.
- noun A wife; -- in allusion to Eve, as made out of Adam's rib.
- transitive verb To furnish with ribs; to form with rising lines and channels; as, to rib cloth.
- transitive verb To inclose, as with ribs, and protect; to shut in.
- See also:
- Lierne rib
Rib - pictures with words
Rib - слова по маске
Rib - words with similar meaning
- Lierne rib In Gothic vaulting, any rib which does not spring from the impost and is not a ridge rib, but passes from one boss or...