Search the words to solve crossword puzzles
Definition of Smell
- noun To perceive by the olfactory nerves, or organs of smell; to have a sensation of, excited through the nasal organs when affected by the appropriate materials or qualities; to obtain the scent of; as, to smell a rose; to smell perfumes.
- noun To detect or perceive, as if by the sense of smell; to scent out; -- often with out.
- noun To give heed to.
- intransitive verb To affect the olfactory nerves; to have an odor or scent; -- often followed by of; as, to smell of smoke, or of musk.
- intransitive verb To have a particular tincture or smack of any quality; to savor; as, a report smells of calumny.
- intransitive verb To exercise the sense of smell.
- intransitive verb To exercise sagacity.
- transitive verb The sense or faculty by which certain qualities of bodies are perceived through the instrumentally of the olfactory nerves. See Sense.
- transitive verb The quality of any thing or substance, or emanation therefrom, which affects the olfactory organs; odor; scent; fragrance; perfume; as, the smell of mint.