Search the words to solve crossword puzzles
Definition of Swallow
- noun Any one of numerous species of passerine birds of the family Hirundinidae, especially one of those species in which the tail is deeply forked. They have long, pointed wings, and are noted for the swiftness and gracefulness of their flight.
- noun Any one of numerous species of swifts which resemble the true swallows in form and habits, as the common American chimney swallow, or swift.
- noun The aperture in a block through which the rope reeves.
- transitive verb To take into the stomach; to receive through the gullet, or esophagus, into the stomach; as, to swallow food or drink.
- transitive verb To draw into an abyss or gulf; to ingulf; to absorb -- usually followed by up.
- transitive verb To receive or embrace, as opinions or belief, without examination or scruple; to receive implicitly.
- transitive verb To engross; to appropriate; -- usually with up.
- transitive verb To occupy; to take up; to employ.
- transitive verb To seize and waste; to exhaust; to consume.
- transitive verb To retract; to recant; as, to swallow one's opinions.
- transitive verb To put up with; to bear patiently or without retaliation; as, to swallow an affront or insult.
- intransitive verb To perform the act of swallowing; as, his cold is so severe he is unable to swallow.
- noun The act of swallowing.
- noun The gullet, or esophagus; the throat.
- noun Taste; relish; inclination; liking.
- noun Capacity for swallowing; voracity.
- noun As much as is, or can be, swallowed at once; as, a swallow of water.
- noun That which ingulfs; a whirlpool.
- See also:
Swallow - pictures with words
Swallow - слова по маске
Swallow - words with similar meaning
- Swallow-tailed adjective Having a tail like that of a swallow; hence, like a swallow's tail in form; having narrow and tapering or pointed...