Search the words to solve crossword puzzles
Definition of Sway
- intransitive verb To move or wield with the hand; to swing; to wield; as, to sway the scepter.
- intransitive verb To influence or direct by power and authority; by persuasion, or by moral force; to rule; to govern; to guide.
- intransitive verb To cause to incline or swing to one side, or backward and forward; to bias; to turn; to bend; warp; as, reeds swayed by wind; judgment swayed by passion.
- intransitive verb To hoist; as, to sway up the yards.
- intransitive verb To be drawn to one side by weight or influence; to lean; to incline.
- intransitive verb To move or swing from side to side; or backward and forward.
- intransitive verb To have weight or influence.
- intransitive verb To bear sway; to rule; to govern.
- noun The act of swaying; a swaying motion; the swing or sweep of a weapon.
- noun Influence, weight, or authority that inclines to one side; as, the sway of desires.
- noun Preponderance; turn or cast of balance.
- noun Rule; dominion; control.
- noun A switch or rod used by thatchers to bind their work.