Search the words to solve crossword puzzles
Definition of Swim
- intransitive verb To be supported by water or other fluid; not to sink; to float; as, any substance will swim, whose specific gravity is less than that of the fluid in which it is immersed.
- intransitive verb To move progressively in water by means of strokes with the hands and feet, or the fins or the tail.
- intransitive verb To be overflowed or drenched.
- intransitive verb Fig.: To be as if borne or floating in a fluid.
- intransitive verb To be filled with swimming animals.
- transitive verb To pass or move over or on by swimming; as, to swim a stream.
- transitive verb To cause or compel to swim; to make to float; as, to swim a horse across a river.
- transitive verb To immerse in water that the lighter parts may float; as, to swim wheat in order to select seed.
- noun The act of swimming; a gliding motion, like that of one swimming.
- noun The sound, or air bladder, of a fish.
- noun A part of a stream much frequented by fish.
- intransitive verb To be dizzy; to have an unsteady or reeling sensation; as, the head swims.