Search the words to solve crossword puzzles
Definition of Umpire
- noun A person to whose sole decision a controversy or question between parties is referred; especially, one chosen to see that the rules of a game, as cricket, baseball, or the like, are strictly observed.
- noun A third person, who is to decide a controversy or question submitted to arbitrators in case of their disagreement.
- transitive verb To decide as umpire; to arbitrate; to settle, as a dispute.
- transitive verb To perform the duties of umpire in or for; as, to umpire a game.
- intransitive verb To act as umpire or arbitrator.