Search the words to solve crossword puzzles
Definition of Cyanogen
noun A colorless, inflammable, poisonous gas, C2N2, with a peach-blossom odor, so called from its tendency to form blue compounds; obtained by heating ammonium oxalate, mercuric cyanide, etc. It is obtained in combination, forming an alkaline cyanide when nitrogen or a nitrogenous compound is strongly ignited with carbon and soda or potash. It conducts itself like a member of the halogen group of elements, and shows a tendency to form complex compounds. The name is also applied to the univalent radical, CN (the half molecule of cyanogen proper
- See also:
Cyanogen - pictures with words
Cyanogen - слова по маске
Cyanogen - words with similar meaning
- Cyanic adjective Pertaining to, or containing, cyanogen.adjective Of or pertaining to a blue color.
- Hydrocyanic adjective Pertaining to, or derived from the combination of, hydrogen and cyanogen.
- Cyanide noun A compound formed by the union of cyanogen with an element or radical.
- Dicyanide noun A compound of a binary type containing two cyanogen groups or radicals; -- called also bicyanide.
- Hydroferricyanic noun Pertaining to, or containing, or obtained from, hydrogen, ferric iron, and cyanogen; as, hydroferricyanic acid. See...
- Hydroferrocyanic adjective Pertaining to, or containing, or obtained from, hydrogen, ferrous iron, and cyanogen; as, hydroferrocyanic acid. See...
- Melaniline noun A complex nitrogenous hydrocarbon obtained artificially (as by the action of cyanogen chloride on aniline
- Paracyanogen noun A polymeric modification of cyanogen, obtained as a brown or black amorphous residue by heating mercuric cyanide.
- Cyamellone noun A complex derivative of cyanogen, regarded as an acid, and known chiefly in its salts; -- called also hydromellonic acid.
- Hydrocyanide noun A compound of hydrocyanic acid with a base; -- distinguished from a cyanide, in which only the cyanogen so combines.