Search the words to solve crossword puzzles
Definition of Fume
- noun Exhalation; volatile matter (esp. noxious vapor or smoke
- noun Rage or excitement which deprives the mind of self-control; as, the fumes of passion.
- noun Anything vaporlike, unsubstantial, or airy; idle conceit; vain imagination.
- noun The incense of praise; inordinate flattery.
- noun To smoke; to throw off fumes, as in combustion or chemical action; to rise up, as vapor.
- noun To be as in a mist; to be dulled and stupefied.
- noun To pass off in fumes or vapors.
- noun To be in a rage; to be hot with anger.
- transitive verb To expose to the action of fumes; to treat with vapors, smoke, etc.; as, to bleach straw by fuming it with sulphur; to fill with fumes, vapors, odors, etc., as a room.
- transitive verb To praise inordinately; to flatter.
- transitive verb To throw off in vapor, or as in the form of vapor.