Search the words to solve crossword puzzles
Definition of General
- adjective Relating to a genus or kind; pertaining to a whole class or order; as, a general law of animal or vegetable economy.
- adjective Comprehending many species or individuals; not special or particular; including all particulars; as, a general inference or conclusion.
- adjective Not restrained or limited to a precise import; not specific; vague; indefinite; lax in signification; as, a loose and general expression.
- adjective Common to many, or the greatest number; widely spread; prevalent; extensive, though not universal; as, a general opinion; a general custom.
- adjective Having a relation to all; common to the whole; as, Adam, our general sire.
- adjective As a whole; in gross; for the most part.
- adjective Usual; common, on most occasions; as, his general habit or method.
- adjective The whole; the total; that which comprehends or relates to all, or the chief part; -- opposed to particular.
- adjective One of the chief military officers of a government or country; the commander of an army, of a body of men not less than a brigade. In European armies, the highest military rank next below field marshal.
- adjective The roll of the drum which calls the troops together; as, to beat the general.
- adjective The chief of an order of monks, or of all the houses or congregations under the same rule.
- adjective The public; the people; the vulgar.
General - pictures with words
General - слова по маске
General - words with similar meaning
- Postmasters-general plural of Postmaster-general
- Lieutenant general An army officer in rank next below a general and next above a major general.
- Major general An officer of the army holding a rank next above that of brigadier general and next below that of lieutenant general, and who...
- Governor general A governor who has lieutenant or deputy governors under him; as, the governor general of Canada, of India.